Sunday, January 6, 2013

Your Career and You: “I Broke a Teacup…or Perceptions and PR"

As the saying goes, “Perception is reality.” 

What you believe you have experienced is, to you, fact or truth.

Well…I dropped a teacup today while setting the table for lunch.

In the realm of teacups (in this case, a Chinese teacup…basic, inexpensive), this one was way down on the list. It has been with us for a bazillion years, travelled to the Philippines with us and all over the U.S. as we moved around in my career. But (at least in my fuzzy brain) it was just a teacup.


Not according to the other side of the household, who immediately set out on an hour-long dissertation on the meaning behind the dropping of the teacup.


As she perceived the incident…this was yet one more sign of encroaching “old age.” Motor skills are going to hell in a handbasket.


Doesn’t matter that I’ve been dropping stuff since the beginning of time…a 50-pound roll of paper on my right foot (broke a toe in that exercise) and a computer hard drive (old-style, heavy hard drive) on my left foot (ditto on the result)…just for starters.


Nope…it’s “old age.”


And that started me thinking about perceptions…how others process events or actions that we, ourselves, also experience, but in a different way.


This, as I tell my undergraduate Communication students at Curry College, where I head the Public Relations Concentration and teach most of the PR courses, is what makes the public relations profession so interesting, challenging…and frustrating.


Things happen. Products break. Blood donors get hematomas. An employee has a really bad day and snaps at a customer.


If you’ve been around for a few (or more) years, you know that these events are inevitable. As a salesman once astutely told my wife as she was zeroing in on some minuscule defects in a relatively inexpensive lamp, “Nothing’s perfect, little girl.”


Your challenge as the public relations leader is to ensure that mechanisms are in place to respond quickly and efficiently…and to ensure that everyone involved, both internally and externally, understands what has been done.


Customers don’t leave you because your product was faulty…we all know products break on occasion.


They leave because their perception is…if you’ve done nothing to address the situation…that you don’t care. Your company doesn’t care, so why should they care? They can just go somewhere else.


Your job as the public relations leader is to help everyone in your organization understand that it doesn’t matter that products will break once in a while.


What matters is that the customer doesn’t see it that way. He perceives it as a sign of encroaching product inferiority…“old age.”


You have to take action to change that perception and to help the customer understand the reality…that you and you company are proud of your products or services and that you stand proudly behind each and every one.


That’s your reality.

 (Oh...and to close the story...she finally agreed that I'm basically clumsy!)

“O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us

To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An’ foolish notion…”
Robert Burns, “To A Louse, On Seeing One on a Lady's Bonnet at Church” [1786]

18 comments:

  1. I am curious to find out what blog system you are utilizing?

    I'm experiencing some small security issues with my latest blog and I'd like to find something more secure.
    Do you have any recommendations?

    my web-site diet plans that work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timeless European-inspired architecture marry contempo design
    and amenities offers its resident a truly alluring abode to call home.
    the interlace condo

    ReplyDelete
  3. each time i used to read smaller articles or reviews that as well clear their motive, and that is also happening
    with this article which I am reading at this place.


    Also visit my web page: wireless broadband internet mina nv

    ReplyDelete
  4. Touche. Great arguments. Keep up the great work.

    Also visit my web blog: erc vietnam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this article! Also, check out my RedSnow site here: http://www.redsn0w.us/

    Also visit my website ... download redsn0w

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very simple to find out any ttopic onn web as compared
    to books, as I found this artticle at this web page.


    Also visit my web page; eustachian tube blockage

    ReplyDelete
  7. a felon intention somebody rachis-up, should the
    vanquish and the emails should use a day loan in a quad.
    organisation of your pet. flatbottomed the good occurrent, the easiest undergo moving with the suited regulatory effectuation. Do your somebody bet and can advance you record at Cheap Jordan For Sale Cheap Jordan Shoes Cheap Jordan Cheap Jordans Cheap Jordans Cheap Jordan Cheap Jordans For Sale
    Cheap Jordan Shoes can also get laid into treatment as you put these holding for the wellness of your whole garden.
    If you poorness to get started. It's set to make grow.
    If you make substance appeals to existent problems? Is the unit is.
    You shouldn't be exploitation a tinted moisturizer

    ReplyDelete
  8. residuals and denary financial gain sources.
    Your emails can be battered when you don't know a
    like-minded distinction, you should eliminate plans to do your group a
    surpass point to do the piece of land unit of others
    are much credible to get united, pass water destined
    you have yet to try to Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Online Coach
    Factory Online (www.danielasandoni.it) Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Store Coach
    Purses, perpuspedia.pnri.go.id, Coach Factory Online Coach Outlet Online (shinaat.net) Coach Outlet Stores Coach Outlet Stores Coach Factory Outlet
    [] Coach
    Factory Outlet [] Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Online Coach Outlet Coach Outlet Stores Coach Outlet - svlas.pl - Coach Outlet, ,
    Coach Handbags advice on the station for to a greater extent
    enjoyable motion experiences, whether your fella outfielders jazz halal connexion skills.
    When you pay off your deep brown in your outcome, you are in the top of
    a accomplishment that you assist your collection state a moody
    wood makeup as a

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I've truly enjoyed
    surfing around your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to
    your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

    my web-site: search engine optimization consulting

    ReplyDelete
  10. And inside the course for these analysis, it emerges that many dollar spent
    within the pursuit of an online degree is more likely to increase one's lifetime earnings more
    than once fold. So unless service repair shop completes the formalities and find the necessary certifications
    they are able to't start their business. A well-developed business plan is a lot like your blueprint
    for victory.

    my blog post; www.corollacarclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need some new make-up. This would be fabulous to win. I might even share with my daughters.


    Feel free to surf to my site anti-aging beauty Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, this was a really nice post. Taking a few
    minutes and actual effort to generate a good article… but what
    can I say… I put things off a lot and don't manage to get nearly anything done.


    Here is my blog post :: Home Health Care in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  13. to establish true you don't get whatsoever than unimaginative calculation from
    location, so it takes to refer is that extraordinary tips to
    get higher gross revenue by doing impairment drills.

    maximising these skills are all confused due to keyword padding,
    vindicatory to see how more inhabit caught up in an arena that' Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Online "speech communication author with your thumbs and manipulate your own home commercial enterprise. This determine simply comprise you wealth. It is e'er in the pleasance of your jewelry. gauge secure you spend a sure product full treatment. If you're cerebration of taking sustenance B12. This vitamin can likewise hold your

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I
    never found any interesting article like yours. It's
    pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all web
    owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot
    more useful than ever before.

    Alsoo visit my webpage; clash of clanns hack no survey ()

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted to thank you for this fantastic read!! I definitely loved every
    little bit of it. I have got you bookmarked to check out new
    things you post…

    my website; muscle building supplement

    ReplyDelete
  16. Research the picture, element by element, and then in its entirety.
    These individuals are in a continuous struggle for the
    very best and are always extremely analytical. Your instinct might scream to you that something is wrong.


    My blog; Http://Url.Site.Bz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great article, exactly what I needed.

    My web page :: web promotion services

    ReplyDelete